Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Update: August 17, 2010

Update: August 17, 2010


Greetings SWJpagers.


I write to you tonight about some frank realities.


After a round of scans back on the 21st of June, Katie and I received a bit of a scare when the Duke oncologist I had been seeing said that he thought the growth in the tumors in my chest would get me removed from the trial. After the rereads, however, the growth in the tumors was calculated to be below 5%, which is considered stable and which kept us on the trial. Cautioned but relieved, Katie and I tried to enjoy the ensuing 7 weeks and did actually get a chance to go on an overdue vacation.


The scans of this past Monday brought us back to harsh realities however. The scans this time around and the doctor’s reaction went much the same way as the 21st: the tumors are still growing and the doctor thinks that it’s enough growth to get me removed from the trial. The difference this time around, however, is that the doctor is much more confident that the tumor growth will surpass the 20% mark, which will get me removed from the trial and he went so far as to call my Louisville oncologist to let him know and suggested an appointment between he and I. Although he let me get treatment, it felt like a push out the door.


Assuming that I am off the trial (rereads will finalize the decision by early next week), the options seem fewer. My doctors here in Louisville have been saying that the longer I can stay on the Duke trial the longer I could put off going through any standard chemo and the better-off I would be over the long-term. Now that this trial option has been exhausted, the realm of possible treatments is shrinking.


We could pursue another clinical trial, but they involve travel, expenses, testing, and a number of additional unknowns. Standard chemo seems to be the clear and easy choice, but my body didn’t handle the treatments well the first time. In fact, I only received 5 of 6 scheduled treatments. Although I feel pretty good right now save a pesky cough, my body isn’t likely to handle standard chemo any better the second time around compared to the first. It’s likely time to see another team or two of doctors for a fresh set of opinions. Choices will have to be made in that regard.


Given that the tumors in my bones seem to be stable and that the liver has actually been reduced, the growth in the lung and chest might be worth another biopsy to see if it is different that what was in the rest of my body. A biopsy of the lungs or chest is considerably more risky, but it would be worth it if we found out that the cancer in my lungs and chest was different that what was biopsied last summer. If that were the case, it could lead us down a different path.


I intend to meet with my Louisville oncologists sooner rather than later and hear what they have to say. Again, we’ll probably seek an additional opinion or two before we commit to doing anything new. Typically, you have to wait four weeks before starting a new trial so older drugs are completely out of the body. So, in that sense we have a little bit of time, but it’s likely that if I wanted to start chemo right away with my doctors here that they would oblige.


What I really feel like I want to do is enjoy some free time before I sit down for more chemo and it destroys my body and my energy. Other than the cough, I do feel pretty well. My energy has been up and my hip and pelvis don’t hurt unless I sit in a chair for an extended amount of time.


Because the latest visit to Duke didn’t bring news to us anything like that which we had hoped for, the realities of living with cancer have really been opened up again and this huge area of unknowns and stresses has taken over. I am likely going to change some things that I had hoped to get done at work and really just try to rest and enjoy my time before I face more chemotherapy. I try to stay positive. I do believe that I am in a better position right now than I was this time last year, but at the same time, I don’t know how long that will last.


You all have been so wonderful in your support of me and my family over the past 13 months. If anything, we continue to rely on our faith and ask that you continue to pray for our family. We need a sense of peace, clarity, strength, and confidence for the decisions we are going to have to make. As always, you all have been so supportive. Thank you for keeping up with my story and supporting us.


God bless,


Will, Katie, and Mack

No comments:

Post a Comment