November 23, 2011
Happy Thanksgiving SWJ
I guess this is a guest blog, since Will has been doing all the blogging lately.
It is Thanksgiving time and that has gotten me thinking about lots. I am not going to lie, some days I have the hardest time getting up to face the day. There is so much going in our lives that a lot of times I wonder how much more I can take. I do however realize that God will not give me more than I can handle, and I truly believe that. I also have the utmost faith that God will lead us through this bump in the road that is our life and on to new challenges and happiness.
Thanksgiving is a time that people should stop and give thanks for all the things they have in their lives. I however realized the other day that I have been caught up in all the hardship and upcoming challenges, that I was losing sight of what I have now in the present. I realized that I should not be worrying about treatment plans, deductibles, the mess that is sometimes our house, and all the things that seem huge, but in the grand scheme of things are not huge at all. I am so blessed to have a husband that I know truly loves me and appreciates all I do for him, our family, and others. I know I am a little biased but I also believe I have the best child in the whole world. Mack is changing so much every day and I need to take time to appreciate him and every moment we have with him. We are so lucky to have him, and God’s timing was impeccable with bringing Mack into our lives. I also have a great family, who they themselves are going through lots, who I can lean on and count on for anything in the world. I have really close friends who have stood by me and all my grumpiness and sadness over the years. I have a great job and work with wonderful kids and people. I could go on and on, but I will just simply say I am blessed and truly thankful.
I found myself feeling guilty the other day on my drive home about feeling so woe is me. You see this week they had a “radio a thon” for Kosair Children’s Hospital this past week. I heard the stories on the way to and from work for two days about the kids and families who are facing the same battles we are as a family. After crying over the stories I was hearing, I found myself thinking about several things: 1) How can I take my experiences and use them to help others? 2.) I have so much to be thankful for and need to avoid pity parties for myself. 3.) What can I do to help others since we have had so much help and support for our family?
I feel like Will has offered the readers and supporters an inside look to what cancer and treatments does to the person with cancer as well as the family. He has been very open and I know that he has affected many lives with his story. I wanted to take a chance to not only say thank you to each one of you, but to also ask you to pay it forward. No matter what everyone has going on in their lives there is so much to be thankful for. In the midst of appreciating your blessing, please take time to consider others this holiday season who are not as lucky or a fortunate as you are. I challenge each of you to pay forward at least one act of kindness. Whether or not you adopt an angel from the angel tree, place some change in the Salvation Army bucket, send a card of thanks to someone, visit or call a friend who is ailing, you can make a difference.
I will get off of my soapbox now. I just wanted to share with you that even though sometimes I get caught up on the small problems and our big problems we face in our family and my life each day, I am blessed. I want to change my mind set this holiday season and focus on the positive and emphasize to myself that God is working in my life every moment of every day. I saw this quote the other day and wanted to share it with you, “If God brings you to it, he will bring you through it.”
I want to wish each and every one of you a very happy Thanksgiving. I know I am looking forward to time with family and time to let some of the stress be gobbled up with the turkey.
~Katie
“Listen for God’s voice in everything you do and everywhere you go; He’s the one that will keep you on track.” Proverbs 3:6
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment